Mathias Sønderskov

Phase 3: Decomposition

Day XII – February 17th

working with the joints. This is an exciting task, which requires lots of logic thinking and realism. I wish that this task was a bigger part of the workshop and maybe that the lecture about it was made earlier. Earlier I focused way too much on standard wood joints from kitchen furniture, instead of these exciting new ways of thinking.

Day XI – February 16th

Today I created a grasshopper script that creates my structure. It can subdivide the structure. More about this script later, when needed. Now the focus will be on the decomposition.

Phase 2: Composition

Day X – February 15th

Pin up session. I realised my model did not fulfill my strategy: To get lots of air into the middle and create turbulences.

Strategy:

 

My challenge now is to get more air into the funnel.

Day IX – February 14th

Wind tunnel research with one model. Detail shots and elevation shots are made. Will upload a huge research diagram from them tomorrow. Now I am busy preparing for pin-up session tomorrow morning. Good night.

UPDATE: Here is the research catalog showing my latest models and tests:

Day VIII – February 10th

Focus on wooden joints and grasshopper scripts.

Day VII – February 9th

Today my two ideas were tested in the wind tunnel. Both were inspired by the test from earlier. Pictures to come.

Day VI – February 8th

Today we were granted access to Mads’ and Isak’s wind tunnel!

PDF – Research Catalog (3,5mb)

I like model 1 in this catalog. Specially when the wind hits from the side with the two diagonal walls. The wind is compressed and then lead straight into a wall. This leaves a long track of turbulence behind. This is exciting and gives a neat look when using smoke. What can it be used to in big scale  at the harbour? Quick idea: Smoking room = Smoke+Cool smoke effects. Maybe include light. Nobody would smoke there anyway. Artificial smoke could be a solution on this issue.

Phase 1: Element & Dynamic

Day V – February 7th

Tests using four walls. Overview here:

Click for PDF (5mb)

What is important here is how a wall can shield the walls behind it.

Day IV – February 4th

Today I experimented with four new setups. This time three walls were used.

The first one contained three walls on a line. Behind the walls turbulence occured:

This next image is interesting because the wall to the right is not affected very much by the wind. Why is it not?
One thing could be distance to the wind line, but I think it is close enough, if you look at test4 in the PDF@Day2, roughly same distance is used.

Day III – February 3rd

Continuing the experiments, this time with two walls instead of one. A quick overview of the experiments can be seen here in the research diagram:

(PDF, 2.5MB)

Experiments made with different distances between the two walls are made. There should be a golden ratio between wind speed and distance which could allow turbulence to occour. I did not find that ratio.


(click for animation)

Day II – February 2nd

Today had experiments with aerodynamics in something that I would call two dimensions.

The setup was as following: A bottom in the size of a European A3 paper with a 1×1 cm grid print (White grid on black background) . On the bottom were three sides, each 5cm high. Salt was poured on the bottom, covering the print. In the end of the setup was a hair-dryer (With cold function! ..The environment) which blew on the salt.

Four scenes were tested with a little wall placed in different places as follows:

The setup is as follows:

Here is the salt movement in a little stop motion film in scene 01

(click for animation)

A symmetric pattern appears. Notice the little spot of salt just above the wall. Here the wind hasnt moved the salt. Looks like a snowdrift from this winter. The wind behind the wall is changed by around 45 degrees. Some stribes appear under the wall caused by a minor gab between the wall and the bottom.


(click for animation)

Here you can see the wind being moved 90 degrees to the right because of the wall. Also a little kind of turbulence is in the upper left corner of the wall.

Heres an overview of day2:

Click for PDF (7mb)

Today we made 3 tries on each scene, so totally 12 experiments. Practically I have learned, that it would have been better to shield the back of the setup, so that salt isnt blown everywhere in the lab. But a normal wall would have thrown some of the wind back too!
Solution to come, if I get time.

Advertisements