Hey, this is Lines blog. Scroll down to the bottom, to se the phases chronologically.
Here I developed my strategy and structure. I did so through more experiences in the wind tunnel with strength of the structure, joints, the size of the plate and decomposition in mind. I created a circular structure, which could strengthen the turbulence.
I wanted a structure there were about 2 meter high, and the plates were only 1,2 meter, so I had to do decomposition and joints to get a high structure. In that way, I created space in the middle of the structure, which could strengthen the turbulence, and shelter.
Again it all ended with a poster:
Phase 2: week 6 – 3. and 4. day
It all ended with a poster as in phase 1:
Phase 2: week 6 – 2. day
From the previously experiments I invented a strategy:
I would like to design a arrangement that on one hand could create shelter and on the other hand could create a dynamical space, with turbulence, pressure and suction. So when the wind flow comes from one side, you have static space, and when it comes from the other side you have dynamic space – in that way it will create space, where you can experience the different principles within aerodynamics which I have experienced.
From this I found two different arrangements, which had the same strategy:
– the flow will be centered by the two plates in front. When it hits the orthogonal plate very vigorously, whereupon it splits, and gets influenced by the two plates in front, it turns into turbulence. I want to create a turbulence, that is different on the two sides of the space. In that way the arrangement had to be asymmetrical. Therefore one side had to be closed, and the other open.
– When the flow comes from the other side it should the spread around the arrangement by one plate like in experiment 15 in phase 1. In that way I could create shelter in the space.
Phase 2: week 6 – 1. day
In this phase we made experiments in another way, by means of a wind tunnel. This kind of experiment was more precisely than the other, because you could se flow and turbulence, which you could not see in the previous experiment. Here you see the experiments from the first day of work.
I worked with those arrangements from the previous experiments I found most interesting. I chose the first arrangement because I could not immediately explain why it developed like it did. I chose the other arrangement, because it lead the wind.
The first arrangement could both create turbulence and shelter. The other could centre and lead the wind.
After the experiment we had a pin-up, where we presented our process and observations at a poster:
Here you see the streamlines and explanations for each experiment.
Experiment 16: shows how a more complex arrangement influences the airflow
Experiment 15: shows how a more complex arrangement influences the airflow
Experiment 14: shows how four orthogonal plates influence the airflow.
Experiment 13: shows how three orthogonal plates influence the airflow, when whey are staggered.
Experiment 12: shows how a more complex arrangement influences the airflow
Experiment 11: shows how a more complex arrangement influences the airflow
Experiment 10: shows how three orthogonal plates influence the airflow, when whey are staggered.
Experiment 9: shows how three orthogonal plates influence the airflow, when whey are staggered.
Experiment 8: shows how two plates placed in the same direction as the airflow, influence the flow.
Experiment 7: shows how two plates placed in the same direction as the airflow, influence the flow. Here they are staggered.
Experiment 6: shows how two orthogonal plates influence the airflow, when whey are staggered.
Experiment 5: shows how two orthogonal plates influence the airflow, when they are placed in the middle.
Experiment 4: shows how one plate placed in the same direction as the airflow, influences the flow. Here it is placed on the left
Experiment 3: shows how one plate placed in the same direction as the airflow, influences the flow.
Experiment 2: shows how one orthogonal plate influences the airflow, when it is placed on the right.
Experiment 1: shows how one orthogonal plate influences the airflow, when it is placed in the middle.
Phase 1, week 5
We set up a series of experiments in a two dimensional environment and observed what happened with the airflow. The purpose was to observe laminar and turbulence conditions through the airflow, the speed, the orientation and the arrangement in different environments. We used disconnected walls placed in different orientations to the direction of the airflow, and in that way we created different partitions through the arrangement. We experimented with different speeds of the airflow, but figured that the slow speed produced the best results.
After the experiments we set up a short list of approximately rules. Basically, there was pressure at the front of the plate and suction at the back. All the patterns appeared after that principle. We also saw how the plates could lead the airflow and thereby make space with shelter and space with a lot of airflow.
Sometimes we had difficulties getting reliable results. This could be because of a source of errors. The most remarkable was a slanting setup of hairdryer and patterns. It was a common source of error. At the same time there were a irregularity of airflow from the hairdryer. We also had problems with the view of the camera, where it was not possible getting a top view, but only a view in perspective.
Note: click on the pictures to watch the videos.